Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Year-End Purge: Part 1 Perfumes


With these gone, I now have more shelf space. Yey!

To usher in the New Year (and for good Feng Shui) I always do a thorough spring-cleaning of every nook and cranny of my home.  To be honest, it is something I really look forward to. Guess one can say, Spring comes during Winter in my home. (Corny! Forgive Me. In Manila, there are 2 seasons : Wet and Dry) I usually take on a No Mercy kind of attitude. For example: Clothes. If I don’t want to bump into an ex while wearing it, I give it away.   Accessories. If it has remained untouched for a year, I give it away. Medicine. Anything expired or even close to expiration, I throw (Duh!). Clumped spices go to the trash bin. Etcetera. Etcetera. AND oh yeah. The topic of this post, beauty products that I did not get to finish (a few of which I will repurchase) and those that I wouldn’t bother using up. Will discuss the reasons briefly as I plan to write a more in depth review down the line.

PERFUMES: Elizabeth Arden’s Green Tea Lotus and Red Door, J’adore Dior and Victoria Secret Angel Dream. These were all given as gifts.

I have different reasons for giving them away. Let’s start with Victoria Secret Angel Dream. This was part of a box set (perfume, lotion and shower gel) my husband got for me in one of his trips in 2014. He got it because he knew I loooove anything angel. The box was so sparkly and so pretty that I thought I was certainly going to love it. I remember trying the lotion for the first time and I got gutted when my nose found the scent, er…revolting. The scent that lingered…man did it smell like pee! I don’t know how my brain is wired but it tells me that the underlying scent of this Angel Dream smells like urine. Crossed my fingers hoping that the shower gel and the perfume would not be a failure as well. No such luck. I valiantly used it several times but after the third attempt got me gagging, I put it at the back end of the shelf. Out of sight, out of mind. It was a waste that could not be helped. Oh well.

I used to like Elizabeth Arden’s Red Door during its heyday.  I was a young student then and wearing it made me feel older and sophisticated. Now that I am a lot older, I do not need any reminding of my age and somehow I find the scent dated. The scent just doesn’t do anything to my psyche anymore, so I ditched it. The same goes for J’adore Dior.

Lotus, by Elizabeth Arden, I find to be ho-hum. I still enjoy the smell of the plain old Green Tea scent of theirs. When they added the lotus facet to the green tea, it dulled the refreshing scent of the original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment