Wednesday, November 19, 2014

First Impressions: First Snow by Lush


 I WILL REPURCHASE:

I bought this twinkly, sparkly, fragrant dusting powder in a Lush store in Mong Kok, Hong Kong. I actually saw this first at the Venetian’s Lush store in Macau. I didn’t get to buy it then because I got distracted by the fresh batch of Christmas bath bombs and by their new body conditioner, African Paradise. I was very disappointed when I got back to Manila to find out our local Lush store didn’t have First Snow on their shelves yet. I’m hoping they get this in time for Christmas 2014—this would make perfect gifts!


PRICE and PACKAGING:

First Snow costs HKD 85  (roughly PHP 485 and is listed in the LUSH US Website at USD 8) for 30 grams of powder. It comes in a clear, squeezable plastic bottle with a flip top cap. Dispensing product is easy.



EXPERIENCE:
This is not like your average baby powder. For one, just like all of Lush’s powders, it is moisturizing and leaves a silken feel to your skin. And also, the scent lasts. I don’t know how Lush does it but the staying power of the scents of all their powders is pretty strong. When you take off your clothes at the end of day, the scent is still very much present. Who doesn’t love that?! The smell of First Snow (from Lush’s Christmas collection) I can best describe as light, sweet and citrusy fresh. I find it so refreshing that putting it on makes me feel as if I had just stepped out of the shower. Lush itself has listed the following as some of the ingredients: sweet orange oil, and lime oil.

First Snow sets itself apart from Vanilla Puff and Silky Underwear (both by Lush) because of the sparkle and noticeable twinkle it leaves on your skin. You do not need an enormous amount to spread all over your body to have it sparkling like a star. Really. So, if you are one who frowns upon a bit of glimmer on skin, this product won’t be for you because you’ll definitely see the glitter. I do have to say though that you will not feel the glitter on your skin at all, even when spreading the powder.

Where Lush's Lustre gives you a pearlescent golden sheen, First Snow gives a scattering of teeny tiny silvery twinkly sparkle. (Both are beautiful but let's save Lustre for another post.) The sparkle First Snow gives is most beautiful when sunlight hits your skin. If you’ve seen the movie Twilight, recall the scene where Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson) steps into the light—this gives a similar effect. Not your average, daily look but beautiful just the same. Another great thing about this? The sparkle stays long enough until the end of a party.

DOWNSIDE:

The sparkle/glitter transfers to your clothing- but it easily washes off when laundered.  Also, your hands get the bulk of the sparkle that you’re going to have to wash it off if it bothers you or if you don’t want any on your face. Lastly, although it lasts long enough for me, the sparkle does not stay all day-- my solution is to just add some more.

 FAMILY CORNER:

This is my little girls’ new favorite. My girls were immediately taken by the silvery sparkle First Snow gives. They have used this quite a bit since I got this and none of them have developed allergies or rhinitis to it (unlike other baby powders that make my 4 year old’s nose run!). My eldest daughter (10) used this when she danced ballet on stage and the sparkle of the powder kept on catching the light. Soo beautiful!

My husband likes the scent but won’t use it because of the glitter. Understandably so! He is sticking to his favorites, as they are part of his daily ritual: Silky Underwear and T for Toes (both by Lush). 

INGREDIENTS:


1 comment: